Thursday, January 31, 2008

Thing Fifteen

Thing Fifteen - Collaboration

I already detailed this Thing in an earlier blog entry, but to be official here it is again. Earlier this year when my students were doing their poetry unit, as their final assessment, they researched a poet, one to two of their poems and did a presentation on them. To assist in this matter, Marilyn Mauritz set the library up in a way to allow the students to view all of the poetry books we had available. Both Marilyn and I were impressed that the students did not even try to use the internet to find their poet, but rather took to the books entirely.

This collaborative effort also allowed us to tag team with the students. I, as mentioned earlier, established with the students which databases they may use for research. This made it easy for me to supervise their research. There were, however, poets that were too obscure to be found on some of them. Ms. Mauritz was able to, in these cases, work one-on-one with the students to dig deeper and find information on their selected poets. This was invaluable assistance, as I clearly would not have had enough time to get to everyone's specific needs.

No comments: