Monday, January 7, 2008

Thing Three

Thing Three - RSS/Feed Aggregator

This was interesting to do. And this blog is going to be a bit of a digression, but here goes. For several years, I worked part-time for Best Buy. The in-house system Best Buy uses is called RSS, which is essentially a huge database. It is used for all inventory, personnel, merchandizing, pricing and a number of other things. I was thinking that this can't be the same RSS, and it isn't, but I come to find out from a friend of mine who does coding for Best Buy corporate that it is similar and based on the same idea, which is to consolidate massive amounts of information into lists and chunks that are manageable. I thought that was interesting at least.

I don't know how I could use this in my classroom. I think that I could establish a blog or web page or what-not and have an RSS feed for each of my students set up ahead of time so anytime I am doing a computer-based lesson, they can go to their RSS page and click on the latest lesson I will have set up. In theory, that sounds nice, like I would only have to have them sign up for the RSS feed once and it could dramatically streamline computer-based lessons.

No comments: