Monday, January 7, 2008

Thing One

Okay, so apparently I missed out on what this whole blogging thing was for. Thank you to the other teachers at my site (and especially Marilyn Mauritz) for showing me what I'm supposed to be doing with my blog, namely recording my 23 things. So, while I am only blogging about them now, I have already done several of the 23 Things.

So, Thing One - Understanding Information Literacy

Oddly enough, the thing that struck me most about these articles is how focused research needs to be to be effective. Reflecting on my own experience with research, that certainly was the case, but it's not something I've emphasized in my teaching in the past. Now that I think about it, it makes sense that by having my students go forward with somewhat vague goals, they are basically being asked to cast a wide net and sift through their "catch" to find the one or two things they were looking for to begin with. Certainly not the most efficient use of time.

I am also starting to see different ways I could rely on colleagues, particularly the on-site LMS, to assist and make assignments not only more rigorous, but more interesting and focused as well.

The majority of the information was not new, but certainly bears repeating. I stress to my students the three R's and have since I started teaching. Now, however, I am using different terminology.

By the way, those are some great quotes at the end of the third article. Love the one from Bill Gates.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I like the example of casting a wide net . . . while it may not be a bad way to start, unfortunately, most kids don't make it from that to a fishing pole -- with one target. Someone should really take this analogy and run with it :)